Most of the foods we eat are obviously not good for you……no matter how good they taste. Especially all these fun treats we have around the holidays! These foods include sugar, trans fats, dairy products, fried foods, junk foods, carbonated drinks….oh the list goes on and on.
Turns out, when we eat these foods, we can’t stop – and that’s when we overeat and just never feel fully satisfied.
The reason we feel tired, sluggish and bloated (but not satisfied) is because we are not getting enough nutrients from the foods we are eating! We are filling ourselves with low-nutrient food and lots of chemicals. Our digestive system is working overtime to process these foods and in the meantime, they have decided to stick around….for days…..undigested. Ick.
Sugar, put down the sugar!!!
Says Dr. Oz, in his book, You on a Diet, “Simple sugars create a rebounding effect. You’re feeling blah, so you eat a 3 Musketeers. That sugar surge works like an electrical jolt, and you instantly feel more energy. But less than two hours later, that energy surge (in the form of elevated blood sugar levels ) plummets, and then you feel blah again. Your conclusion? You must need another Musketeer! That rebound effect can put your body in biological turmoil, where you eat to feel better, though what you’re eating is actually making you feel sluggish, so you swirl and swirl around, always feeling like you need to eat.”
What’s a person to do???
- Eat a little fat 20 minutes before your meal (70 calories or so like 6 walnuts, or 12 almonds)
- Fill up on fiber in the A.M. (think oatmeal, cereal, whole grains and fruit)
- Change your plate (try using a smaller or kid’s version of a plate for smaller portions)
- Slow down, turbo (take your time, put down your fork and chew, chew, chew)
- Get spicy (add a little hot pepper or salsa to your food to increase your metabolism)
Start simple by eating a large salad. Nix the croutons, heavy dressing and cheese. Have fruit for a pick-me-up snack. Add more veggies to your dinner, drink lots of water and YOU, my friend, are on your way to a healthier, happier YOU!